Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Measured Response to Amendment One (NC)

I was born and raised in North Carolina.  I love the state, I love the Triangle area, I love the Central Area of Relocated Yankees.

Right now there's an issue facing the region that's quite divisive.

On May 8, the citizens of my home state will be voting on an amendment to the State Constitution which will reinforce what apparently is already state law, that marriage would only be recognized by the state as a dedicated union between a man and a woman, not a man and a man, not a woman and a woman.

Every now and then my Facebook news feed will light up with people voicing their ire and frustration over the amendment.  I've never really seen anyone voice support for the amendment.

These folks who light up my wall also light up my life - people I count as friends who have all had meaningful impacts on my life and I am grateful, so very grateful, for every single one.  I would not be who I am had our lives not intersected for periods brief or extended.

For a period of time, from about 2003 to 2007, I attended the Summit Church in Durham.  Though it's been five years since I've been a member, I still enjoy listening to the sermons J.D. and the staff put out each week and some of my longest-lived friendships are with folks who go there.

As a church, the folks at Summit generally don't speak out on political issues; neither do I.  Frankly, I think politics are a waste of time - it usually seems to be about personal agendas rather than actually serving the citizens who voted those folks into office.  I'm thankful for the government as they do maintain order (and now supply me with a paycheck), I'm just not a fan of politics.

However, seeing as how there is such little representation for this issue from the other side, I reckon it's time to speak out.  J.D. just today put out a post on his blog about Summit's position on the issue - here is the link: http://www.jdgreear.com/my_weblog/2012/05/the-summit-church-and-the-marriage-amendment.html

J.D. begins:
A very important amendment is being considered this week by people in our state. At our church, we try to avoid politics for the simple reason that godly people often disagree about which policies are the most helpful in society.
At the same time, there is a time, when out of love for our neighbor, civic action is appropriate and ought to be commended by the church. The church should have been vocal during the civil rights movement in the 1960’s and women’s suffrage movement of the early 20th century.
I believe this is one of those times. 
 And he goes on from there in a manner more eloquent than I am able to at this point.

I'd encourage you to read it, with an open mind.  Think about it, pray about it, and anyone, especially my friends in NC, consider what J.D. has to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment