Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday's Gracenotes

1) Being Less Biblical and More Like the Bible - Donald Miller makes a point differentiating between being biblical and being like the Bible.  When I first began to read it, my impression was that he's splitting hairs, here, but as I continued to read I found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with his sentiments.  I mean, if you wanted to approach the dating life "biblically" then chuck a male goose at Judges 21, specifically verses 20-23.

2) Etta James sings I'll Fly Away.  This makes me happy and sad, reminding me of old-fashioned hymn sings at the church I grew up in and at family reunions.

3) Wooden Heart by Listener.  Learned about this from StuffChristiansLike.  At first, I thought it was kind of weird.  As it goes on though, it starts to make sense and I think it's pretty great.

4) Elizabeth South.  So, it turns out I went to the same church as this lady for a bit but was too shy to introduce myself.  Now we're friends on Facebook and she has a couple CDs out!  Her style kind of reminds me of Nichole Nordeman - I think you'll like her, too.

5) Alistair Begg.  This bloke from Scotland preaches at Parkside Church near Cleveland, Ohio.  Personally, I just like the accent, however he also speaks sound theology with the love of Christ.  There's a podcast available as well as the full audio from his sermons.  It's definitely worth a listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment